Grand Canyon University Sport Management
Grand Canyon University, in Phoenix, Arizona, is a private, Christian university with both online and on-campus education options. GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in sport management that aims to impart knowledge of business best practices and marketing skills with an emphasis on applying them to the world of professional sports.
Managing an athletic organization requires a combination of technical skills and interpersonal finesse. GCU’s required courses for earning a BS in sport management address these needs with an array of courses, including:
- Managerial Accounting: This course will teach you to do cost-benefit analyses, and make financial decisions based on gathered data and quantifiable prior experience.
- Organizational Behavior:Rallying your team and organizing them towards a common objective will be easier with the business psychology and group behavior knowledge you’ll gain from this course.
- Sports Law:Knowing the law, and how it affects the sporting industry and your organization specifically, is crucial for anyone at a high level of management in a sports organization.
These are just a few of the courses that contribute to the broad base of skills taught in GCU’s sport management program.
Available Online Programs
Facts About Grand Canyon University
Founded by Arizona Southern Baptists in 1949, GCU was originally intended to provide a local option for Baptists who wanted to earn a bachelor’s or master’s degree without leaving their home state of Arizona. Some other facts about GCU are:
- Regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
- Divided into six schools: The College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Doctoral Studies, the College of Education, the College of Fine Arts and Production, the College of Nursing, and the Ken Blanchard College of Business, which has been recognized as a strong school for entrepreneurs by Fortune magazine.
- Because of GCU’s Baptist background, students are required to take a Christian Worldview class as part of the general education requirements for earning a bachelor’s degree at the university.
- GCU’s Bachelor of Science in sport administration includes introductory classes in economics, finance, organizational psychology, and accounting, as well as specific sports marketing, management, and business classes. The entire program is 120 credit hours.
Online Sports Management Degrees
Whether you're starting your career or looking to advance it, there are several online degrees from accredited schools available in Sports Management at every education level. Specializations range from Sports Psychology to Marketing or Athletic Administration emphasis. The following links from each school will put you in contact with the right people for more information on the program of your choice.
— Post University offers an online BS in Sports Management
degree that explores the managerial, administrative, and marketing aspects of the sports industry. Average class size is about sixteen students leaving room for peer-to-peer interaction and one-to-one tutoring. Post University is located in Waterbury, Connecticut and has 9000 part- and full-time students.
— Your BA in Sports and Recreation Management
degree can be completed entirely online, and you can transfer up to 90 credits, accelerating the process further. Ashford University was founded almost 100 years ago and its online division includes over 30 degrees at the associate, bachelor, and master level.
— Northcentral University offers online programs for an MEd
or PhD in Athletic Administration
which prepares students for high profile and leadership positions. Founded in 1978 in Prescott Valley, Arizona, NCU is now the school of choice for over 10,000 students who are active in school events and organizations.
Southern New Hampshire University
— While an undergraduate degree is required, the MBA
and MS of Sports Management
from South New Hampshire University can be completed in less than two years, making it a quick way to propel your career forward. Located in Manchester, New Hampshire, the main campus has WiFi, an Olympic pool, and even an art gallery.
— TIffin University's MBA program in sports management
prepares its students for management positions in recreational, collegiate, and professional sports. The main focus of the program is on developing skills in communication, leadership, IT, and problem solving.
— The focus of Liberty University's MS in Sports Management
is how organizational skills and leadership plays a role in sports organizations and athletic programs. The program can be completed in less than two years and up to six credit hours can be transferred. However, you will need an undergrad degree in order to enroll.
University of the Rockies
— The University of the Rockies offers an MA in sports and performance psychology
degree program that educates its students in how to be an effective coach/leader and get the most out of a team, in sports or more general human performance. Graduates of this program typically enter careers as business consultants, coaches, physical therapists, or personal trainers.
Looking for a sports management degree?
Use the degree finder below, and we'll help you find a sport management program.