Grand Canyon University Sport Management
Grand Canyon University, in Phoenix, Arizona, is a private, Christian university with both online and on-campus education options. GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in sport management that aims to impart knowledge of business best practices and marketing skills with an emphasis on applying them to the world of professional sports.
Managing an athletic organization requires a combination of technical skills and interpersonal finesse. GCU’s required courses for earning a BS in sport management address these needs with an array of courses, including:
- Managerial Accounting: This course will teach you to do cost-benefit analyses, and make financial decisions based on gathered data and quantifiable prior experience.
- Organizational Behavior:Rallying your team and organizing them towards a common objective will be easier with the business psychology and group behavior knowledge you’ll gain from this course.
- Sports Law:Knowing the law, and how it affects the sporting industry and your organization specifically, is crucial for anyone at a high level of management in a sports organization.
These are just a few of the courses that contribute to the broad base of skills taught in GCU’s sport management program.
Available Online Programs
Facts About Grand Canyon University
Founded by Arizona Southern Baptists in 1949, GCU was originally intended to provide a local option for Baptists who wanted to earn a bachelor’s or master’s degree without leaving their home state of Arizona. Some other facts about GCU are:
- Regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
- Divided into six schools: The College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Doctoral Studies, the College of Education, the College of Fine Arts and Production, the College of Nursing, and the Ken Blanchard College of Business, which has been recognized as a strong school for entrepreneurs by Fortune magazine.
- Because of GCU’s Baptist background, students are required to take a Christian Worldview class as part of the general education requirements for earning a bachelor’s degree at the university.
- GCU’s Bachelor of Science in sport administration includes introductory classes in economics, finance, organizational psychology, and accounting, as well as specific sports marketing, management, and business classes. The entire program is 120 credit hours.
Sponsored Listings for Sports Management Degrees
— Northcentral University offers online programs for an EdD
or PhD in Sports Management
which prepares students for high profile and leadership positions. Founded in 1996 in Prescott, Arizona, NCU is now the school of choice for over 10,000 students who are active in school events and organizations.
Grand Canyon University
— The BS in Sports Management
degree from Grand Canyon University readies students to gain positions in the field of sports business management. Graduates of this degree program will be well schooled in sport marketing, sport law, and sport finance.
— The focus of Liberty University's MS in Sports Management
is how organizational skills and leadership plays a role in sports organizations and athletic programs. The program can be completed in less than two years and up to six credit hours can be transferred. However, you will need an undergrad degree in order to enroll.
— The MS in Sports Analytics and Managemen
degree from American University focuses on creative thinking and problem solving within sports. Students will also be required to understand the application and use of current technology, exploring the interdisciplinary relationships within and between athletics and sports, and examining the nature and effects of administrative knowledge and skills applied to athletics and sports.
Looking for a sports management degree?
Use the degree finder below, and we'll help you find a sport management program.